Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweet Orange Chicken - Part One

"Just another Manic Monday" and I have to cook at the end of the day...hmpf

Edmonton has officially fallen back into the hands of old man winter and it is once again a crisp -30.  After a long day at work I came home had a nap and then remembered that I had to attempt a new recipe.  As tired and lazy as I was I dragged myself to Superstore so I could create the "Sweet Orange Chicken Stir Fry"

I got this one from the internet as nothing in the B of B book was appealing to me. The recipe was as follows:

1 tbsp of water
2 tsp of cornstarch ( I used flour and also learned from a work mate that it is used to thicken things, COOL)
1 tsp cooking oil
Boneless chicken thighs
3/4 Cup Carrot ( I used frozen stir fry veggies)
3/4 Cup of Orange Juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Hoisin sauce
A dash of salt and pepper



Stir water into flour and in small cup and set aside.  Heat frying pan or wok on medium high until very hot.  Add cooking oil.  Add chicken.  Stir fry for about 5 minutes until until browned.  Add carrot. 
Combine remaining 6 ingredients in small bowl. Add to chicken mixture.  Stir bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer cover for about 6 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside and carrot is tender crisp.  Stir flour mixture.  Add to chicken mixture.  Heat and stir for about 1 minute until boiling and thickened.  Serve with rice.

 To see how I executed this recipe see part two. 


Bon Appetit!
KB :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment