Monday, March 7, 2011

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things. (Part Two )

Part Two - Better Late than Never

Sorry Blog Universe I have been rather busy lately with cheerleading,  conferences, and fun times with friends.   

Better late than never, here is the continuation of my cooking adventures in Jasper.  I am so happy that I took notes, or  I never would have remembered all of the detail and exceptional hospitality. 

On Saturday afternoon we returned from our ice walk and Katie prepared a unique and vegetarian inspired salad.  It was new and exotic to me. I felt very healthy and energized after eating it.  She served a Quinoa salad with fresh ground oregano.  It had a different texture and was favourable.  To complement the salad, Katie served a deli platter.  It had deli cuts, a variety of cheese, and fresh buns.   It was a very refreshing energetic lunch. 
Quinoa with fresh Oregano
 The Lunch Lesson:  This is what I learned about Quinoa:

It is a grain like crop grown for its edible seeds.  As a chenopod is is closely related to species such as beets, spinach and tumbleweeds.  In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.[10] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa)

I should eat more Quinoa!!

We topped lunch off with some champagne to celebrate some big news that Katie and Brian were celebrating.  It was bliss.  

 I enjoyed it so much that it sent me into a glorious three hour afternoon.  What a classy house guest I am.  My parents once told me that when you are in the care of people you love, you will sleep like a baby.  So the proof is in the champagne and company.  

Another spectacular spread from my wonderful hosts.


After I woke up from my “sick and epic” afternoon nap, we went for dinner to Miss Italia.  I was boring and had spaghetti and meat sauce.  I loved it.  The restaurant had a wonderful Italian atmosphere.  The server gave me a hard time for too much talking and not enough eating.  Miss Italia is worth checking out if you are in Jasper.  

 We ended the evening with several pitchers of beer at Tent City; great beer, great conversations and great friends.  It was an incredible second day in Jasper


No comments:

Post a Comment