Thursday, February 3, 2011

So how do I cream the butter...?

 This might just be a question right out of Baking for Dummies,

When I received the recipe from my Mom this afternoon I was very excited. However I didn't quite know what cream the butter meant.  Luckily the Martha in my office offered me some excellent instruction.  Martha Katie's instructions: take a hand mixer and make it fluffy like whipped cream. Easy Peasy. With that I was all set to bake some tarts.  The family recipe is as follows:
Ready to Bake!
Ingredients:
* 12 to 14 (4 inch) prepared tart shells
* 1 egg
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup of butter
1 TEASPOON OF VANILLA
* 1 cup raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees
2. cream the butter and brown sugar then add the egg and vanilla and pinch of salt. mix that up and
Fill tart shells half full. tarts will have the rainsins on the bottom
PUT THEM ON A COOKIE SHEET IN CASE THEY SPILL OVER ON YOUR OVEN.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow tarts to stand for a few minutes in the pans before removing to racks to cool

 The recipe was easy to follow, it came together nicely.  I enjoyed creaming the butter. I felt like a true Martha Stewart Domestic Goddess my wooden spoon in hand. The butter tart filling wasn't challenging, scary or difficult, it was very simple. 


Do I look like a cheerleader doing this?
When it was time to fill the tart shells, I thought I had over filled them. The shells were very small and it was hard to judge the half way point.  Luckily once they started to boil in the oven I could see that they were just right. 


I baked them for about 16 minutes. Next time I will bake for about 18 minutes as they were not quite as crisp as I would have liked.  

When I tasted them I was thrilled!   They were just like Mom's and Nanny's.  Success!!

Degree of Difficulty 6
Execution 5.5
Almost Perfect!!!


Tarts with filling about to go into the oven.   



I can't wait to bake these again. My apartment smelt amazing all night. Enjoy, admire and then come over for a tart! Bon Appetit - Kerri













1 comment:

  1. Well done my dear, i LOVE IT I want to have taste so does Linda and Jim. You keep going you get an A++

    ReplyDelete